The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) officers have stated that the stone with the Portuguese inscription discovered on the premises of the School of Fisheries, at Hoigebazar within the metropolis per week in the past is a headstone.
It belongs to Antonio [probably Teixeira] de Macedo Nobleman who was killed by the moors within the siege of the fort most likely throughout 1528 or 1628 or 1728, professor and dean of the faculty A. Senthil Vel stated in a launch on Saturday, quoting the ASI officers.
One other inscription has Kannada characters of 12-Thirteenth Century CE. A number of traces within the slab have been broken and have been worn out. The ASI has interpreted from the prevailing script that it’s a file of a present of 100 gadeyana, which suggests 100 gold cash. These cash have been initially given to some individual for lighting a lamp perpetually. The lamp is being lit to behave as a lighthouse as the realm the place it has been discovered is a buying and selling port (presently Previous Mangaluru Port). Such a lamp, which is perpetually lit, can be a sign of a temple. The rulers throughout these days belonged to Alupa dynasty within the then south Canara, Prof. Vel quoted the ASI as saying.
The stones had been discovered whereas the bottom was being excavated for establishing a constructing below the Good Metropolis Mission. They had been observed by Shreyash G. Bhandary, a third-year BFSc pupil.